Makerere University Business School | MUBS was established by Makerere University (Establishment of Constituent College) order 1997 as a constituent college of Makerere University | MUK. The School was created from a merger between the faculty of commerce (FOC) and the national college of business studies (NCBS). The merger involved the physical movement of the faculty of commerce from the Makerere Campus to Nakawa where the NCBS was located. The actual merger and movement took place in January 1998.
The year 2001, the structure of the school again changed with the enactment of the University and other tertiary institutions Act, which made the school transform from a constituent college of Makerere to a public tertiary institution affiliated to Makerere University.
Mission and Vision
Mission: “To enable the future of clients through creation and provision of knowledge.”
Vision: “The benchmark for Business and Management Education, Research and Training in the region.”
- Once the advert for programmes are out in the media i.e. newspapers, that is when applicants are eligible to apply.
- The application forms for admission under private sponsorship are categorized and customized to different levels i.e. Postgraduate, Undergraduate Bachelors, Ordinary Diplomas & Certificate programmes. The Senior Six leavers use the Public University Joint Admission Board application forms to apply on government sponsorship.
- Each applicant should pay an application fee of Shs 50, 000/= and a bank charge of 2,500/= in any Stanbic Bank branch using Makerere University Business School paying in bank slips or at the Revenue Office Room 7, Bursar’s office MUBS. For Postgraduate & Undergraduate Bachelors, payments should be made using Makerere University paying in bank slips.
- The application form will be used to collect information on applicants and this information will later be processed on a computer. Each applicant must complete the application form neatly and accurately. Untidy application forms may be rejected.
- When filling in the form, the applicant should note that his/her name must be written in full and in capital letters. The names must also be identical to those used for registration for O” & A” level exams and academic transcript where applicable. No abbreviations will be accepted.
At Makerere University Business School, research is key. The aim is to produce work that is most immediately applicable to the practice of business with new knowledge and ideas and prepare students to be thoughtful and leaders of value.
The research done at the Graduate and Research Centre is categorized as;
- Exploratory research – which structures and identifies new problems.
- Constructive research – which develops solutions to problems.
- Faculty of Commerce
- Faculty of Computing and Management Science
- Faculty of Entrepreneurship and Business Administration
- Faculty of Management and Public Policy
- Faculty of Marketing and Hospitality Management
- Graduate Research Centre
The MUBS Libraries exists to safeguard and provide access to the information materials that support the curricular and research needs of the students and staff of MUBS by making available published, unpublished and electronic documents that comprise of current and retrospective knowledge.
Well stocked Libraries exist at our campuses . The Graduate students have a specific facility, the Graduate Research Center (GRC) for their use. This center has a library of books that research students reference from.. Students also have access to different reading materials on the Internet.
The Libraries have a collection of over 50,000 books and has links to several online databases with current and retrospective journals.