Bweranyangi Girls Secondary School is a girls only boarding ‘O’ and ‘A’ level school. Bweranyangi Girls’ campus is located on Bweranyangi Hill, situated in the southern suburbs of the town of Bushenyi, in Bushenyi District, Western Uganda.
This location lies approximately 5 kilometers (3.1 mi), by road, south of the central business district of Bushenyi. Bweranyangi Girls’ lies approximately 65 kilometers (40 mi), by road, west of Mbarara, the largest city in the sub-region.
Bweranyangi Girls offers a wide and rich curriculum menu of Science and Arts subjects at both ‘Ordinary’ and ‘Advanced’ levels. Computer Studies, Agriculture and Foods/Nutrition are part of the Curriculum.
Bweranyangi Girls has molded very many ladies of integrity and its Alumni are to be found in various professions all over the country as Doctors, Teachers, Lawyers, Accountants, Engineers, Human Resource Managers, and Nurses etc
At Bweranyangi Girls , Students are given opportunities to participate in co-curricular activities such as Games, Sports, Music, Dance and Drama, track, tennis, volleyball, basketball, and netball. The mission of Bweranyangi Girls Secondary School is molding the Girl child into a lady through quality Education.
Bweranyangi Girls traces its origins from Kamukuzi Hill in Mbarara, where in 1912, the Church Missionary Society (CMS), with eight girl-students, housed in a grass-thatched hut, founded the school, then known as Mbarara Junior School. The inaugural class included the daughter of the King of Ankole at that time, and one of the Ankole Prime Minister’s daughters. The school relocated to Ruharo Hill, also in Mbarara, in 1914, with a student population of thirty.
There was more land at Ruharo for expansion. However, this placed the girls’ school adjacent to Mbarara High School, a boys’ school that had started in 1911. While at Ruharo the name of the school was changed to Mbarara Girls’ Boarding School. In 1954, due to frequent unwelcome visits by students from nearby Mbarara High School, and the need for still more expansion, the girls’ school was again relocated to Bweranyangi Hill in Bushenyi, 65 kilometres (40 mi), to the west.
In the early 1960s, the school was granted permission to start ‘O’ Level (S1 to S4), and later ‘A’ level (S5 to S6). The primary school was separated from the middle and high school and today exists adjacent to the Secondary School as Bweranyangi Primary School, a day and boarding mixed primary school.